Instagram

World Mental Health Day (10th October) + Salted Caramel Banoffee Cheesecake (Raw, Vegan, GF, Refined sugar free)

I'm currently lounging on my bedroom floor surrounded by masses of assessment task papers and half-finished concept drawings with my kitten laying somewhat discontentedly on my stomach, constantly rearranging herself and in doing so, squishing my vital organs like it's her  job. The Intouchables soundtrack (check it out, it's mind-numbingly good) is floating along in the background, and I can happily say today I feel quite at peace with the world. This feeling of fulfilment, whilst great, reminds me in contrast of those 'not-so-great' times. Those times where it feels like the universe wants to crush you under its thumb in every possible way, where life seems to throw metaphorical curve balls like those relentless mechanical baseball machines you see in 80s American flicks...

A day in the past week touched a topic that is very close to my heart. World Mental Health Day. I myself, and several loved ones, have experienced what I would classify as the 'lowest of the lows'. I've lived through it, I know just how crippling mental illness can be. The persistent apathy, the 'an-elephant-is-sitting-on-my-chest-and-I-can't-breathe-because-my-emotions-are-welling-up-inside-me-and-oh-god-I-think-my-heart-is-about-to-explode' feeling, the reluctance to get out of bed because you 'just know' today will be as bad as yesterday was... I've been there. I promise you, it gets better. Seeking help, changing my lifestyle (dietary, physically, mentally), openly discussing my feelings - it gets better, it gets easier, each day brings a new positive change. I accredit a lot of my newfound mental clarity to my lifestyle changes, I point blank refused to resort to medicinal options (just a personal preference, but by all means, if you need medical treatment to recover, GO FOR IT) - by nourishing my body with wholesome, plant-based foods, I find myself with more of an ability to tackle the negative gremlins that pop up every now and then in my head, with more energy, and with a HUGE stack of motivation to leap out of bed every morning to take part in whatever the world has on offer for me that day. Let food be thy medicine, that's all i'm gonna say here.

In my uni class today we were discussing the stigmas associated with mental illnesses, and those who suffer them. It's disheartening to see that even in today's apparently 'compassionate', 'love-thy-neighbour-esque' community, being vocal about suffering mental illness is still the cue for awkward silences, a general muttering of half-hearted ascent and a noticeable reduction in eye-contact... I strongly believe that the sooner discussing mental health becomes a more socially accepted practice, the sooner people will learn to cope with, and eventually overcome, these debilitating illnesses. I thought up a fairly uncomplicated metaphor to explain to my discussion group what going through a mental illness in today's society feels like; it's like you're standing next to someone with a cast on their arm, with your arm being uncovered - Friends, family, even strangers, walk past and grace the noticeably impaired person with a sympathetic smile, or an encouraging word on the potential of the future. The other person stands there as well, but their suffering goes unnoticed, they receive little to no kindly expressions - they have no encouragement to push past their troubles, no thoughts other than the toxic ones already permeating their mind. As with the whole straw that can break a camels back catchphrase, I believe that on the flipside, one kind word or gesture to a victim of mental illness can bring them that single spark of hope and happiness they need to kickstart the new phase of their life.

If you're suffering, I implore to you to seek help, or even just start by chatting with those you're closest to about how you're feeling. Don't be ashamed, don't feel weak or selfish, I assure you that those around you would rather you vocalise your thoughts than suppress them until they manifest into self-harm, or destructive behaviours! In the meantime, find a new hobby, try new things, fill your brain with positivity and gradually, there will no longer be any space left up in there for pooey thoughts - think of it like dying a piece of white cloth, yes it takes time, but eventually it completely changes, full of vibrant colour that bursts from the fabric. If you know of someone who is in need, all I can say is be there for them. Don't be judgemental, don't contradict their feelings (I can honestly say this is one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced), just be open to them and let them voice whatever crazy business is going on in their mind.

When mental illness finally sheds its social taboo status, and people are no longer afraid to seek help for fear of embarrassment or ridicule, then the real battle against these diseases can finally begin.



Anywho, for an even more uplifting ending to this post - I present to you, the raw, vegan Salted Caramel Banoffee Cheesecake! 'Ooft' is the only phrase I can think of to sufficiently describe the happy tummy feelings after this circular blob of scrumptiousness.


Makes one 4” mini cheesecake (double the quantities for a normal sized circular cake tin)

Base:
·         ½ cup pitted medjool dates, soaked for at least 15 minutes
·         ¼ cup raw almonds
·         ¼ cup oats (GF) or buckinis, or a mix

Banoffee:
·         ½ banana, sliced (reserve other half)
·         ½ cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
·         1 tbsp coconut oil
·         1 tsp lemon juice
·         Splash of water

Salted Caramel:
·         ½ cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
·         3 pitted medjool dates, soaked for at least 15 minutes
·         1 tbsp mesquite powder
·         1 tbsp coconut oil
·         1 tsp lemon juice
·         Splash of water
·         Salt (to taste)

Base:
·         Pulse ingredients in a food processor until combined. Grab your 4” springform tin and place clingwrap over the flat bottom, then secure the springform ring around (to make life easier when removing the cheesecake). Press the base mixture firmly into this pan, and pop in the freezer while you make your layers!

Banoffee Layer:
·         Drain your cashews, then place all ingredients into a blender. I repeat, a BLENDER, not a food processor. Trust me on this one… it wasn’t a pretty first experiment in the processor… Blend for about 5 minutes or until smooth, adding more water until the mix has reached a pourable consistency, but isn’t too runny. Grab your pan from the freezer and pour on top of your base layer. Pop the pan back into the freezer for at least 15 minutes.

Salted Caramel layer:

·         Again, drain your cashews, then chuck everything into your blender. Add salt, taste testing (the best part of any culinary adventuring) until you reach your perfect level of saltiness caramelly goodness. Blend for about 5 minutes or until smooth, adding water until the mix has reached a pourable consistency, but isn’t too runny. Pour this mix on top of the banoffee layer, and voila, your cheesecake is mere hours from devourability… Keep in the freezer for at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight. 

      When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and let thaw in the fridge for an hour or two, or at room temperature for at least half an hour. Then… EAT, DIGEST, DESTROY.

2 comments:

  1. This beauty is sitting in my freezer right now and it's soo hard to wait for tomorrow when I can finally taste my first ever wholesome cheesecake. Normally all the wholesome (vegan, gluten and sugar free) sweets are quite expensive for me to make because they got crazy amounts of dates, coconut oil and nuts in them but your recipes are the first ones who don't use too much of these expenive goodies and still taste AMAZING!! Thanks so much for that!! Lotsa Love all the way from Germany xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have the ability to do such delight from scratch, you're blessed! Unbelievable that this is healthy!!

    ReplyDelete