Instagram

Chocolate Chunk Scones (GF, refined sugar free, oil free)


Piping hot scones, cups of tea in the afternoon Winter sunshine and melty (vegan) chocolate oozing all over your fingers as you try to juggle the scone from hand to hand because you're just too impatient to wait five extra minutes when your kitchen smells just TOO good... Sounds like a dream, doesn't it?




Funnily enough, these scones came to me in a dream. Literally though! I dreamt I was having afternoon tea with the Queen of England and I was discussing the relevance of veganism to the international agenda, and I pulled these choc chunk scones out of my Mary Poppins-esque bag as (I think) a form of bribery to coerce her into bringing it up at whatever conference was on the following day. Weird, I know. But hey, i'm not complaining if dreams like that result in baking experiments like this?!

These babies were scone-y perfection! Moist, yet crumbly, sweet, but not overly so. The perfect accompaniment with a cup of tea, to be dunked unceremoniously and stuffed into my mouth when more proper family members are looking the other way heheh.

Anyway, enough of my distracting dream nonsense. Here you go my dears, the much anticipated scone recipe is below!




Ingredients:

  • 2 cups GF flour mix (I used 1 cup sorghum flour, 1/2 cup almond meal, 1/2 cup tapioca flour)
  • 1 tsp psyllium husk
  • 1 tsp xantham gum 
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 2 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 1/3 cup +2 tbsp plant mylk of choice (I used coconut)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • chopped up chunks of vegan chocolate of choice! (I used a combination of Loving Earth and AlterEco)

How to:

  1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and set aside. 
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine your flours of choice, psyllium, baking powder, baking soda and xantham gum. Whisk until fully combined.
  3. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients and pour in your mashed banana, vanilla extract and plant mylk. Use a wooden spoon and mix, mix, mix until it comes together into a nice scone-y mixture! Finally, stir in your chopped chocolate chunks. PS It shouldn't be too wet - just enough to hold together.
  4. Dust your baking paper covered tray with a bit of extra flour. Plop your scone mix onto the paper, and use a rolling pin to roll and flatten the ball of dough into a circular shape, approximately 3 cm thick. It should now look like a giant cookie hehe.
  5. Cut the dough into 6 even triangle-shaped slices, and separate slightly from one another.
  6. Bake for approximately 13-15 minutes, or until nicely golden on top. Remove from the oven when done, let cool, and serve with a lovely cup of tea! 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, let me know if you get around to making them! If you're feeling extra loving, snap a pic and share it with me on instagram (@fithealthyproject), I'd love to see your creations :)


Samara x

1 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Is it possible to use normal flour or whole meal flour with the recipe?

    ReplyDelete