Instagram

(Almost) Raw Caramel Slice (vegan, gluten free)

Almost Raw Caramel Slice

Ooey-gooey sticky caramel. Melt in your mouth chocolate. Crumbly biscuity base. Are you drooling yet? If not, you’re obviously not human… Caramel slice was one of my childhood addictions, a speciality of my mum’s that I looked forward to with an almost indecent longing!



It’s been years since I’ve had a piece of caramel slice, and when I found myself struggling to come up with a dish to take to a picnic with a couple of my foodie friends, I was struck with the urge to attempt a healthified, vegan version that equalled (or even surpassed) the deliciousness I remembered from my childhood. My dreams were fulfilled and our tummies were very impressed. Who says vegans only eat lettuce?!

*I created this almost raw caramel slice loosely based on One Hungry Mami’s (who is amazing, and whose site you should check out right now. like, this instant - go, go, go!) Caramel Slice, with a few modifications here and there. I hope you enjoy this as much as my friends and family did!

Ingredients

Base:
·         ½ cup raw nuts, I used almonds but walnuts would also work nicely
·         ½ cup activated buckinis (you can also use oats)
·         ½ cup coconut flakes
·         10-12 pitted medjool dates, soaked in warm water for at least 15 minutes
·         1 tsp vanilla extract
·         2 tbs of melted coconut oil

Caramel:
·         ½ cup tahini, or nut butter of choice
·         ½ cup rice malt syrup
·         ¼ cup melted coconut oil
·         1 tsp vanilla extract
·         Sprinkle of salt
·         1 TBS raw mesquite powder

Chocolate Topping:
·         1/3 cup melted cacao butter
·         4 TBS raw cacao powder
·         4 TBS rice malt syrup
·         1-2 tsp almond milk

How to

First, line a square cake tin with baking paper

Base

Place all the base ingredients into a food processor and go crazy until everything turns into a breadcrumb-like mixture and holds together when pressed between your palms. This took my trusty processor about 5 or so minutes. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared tin and spread it evenly. This can be a bit of a mission, but I found using the back of a spoon to be helpful in pressing/spreading this sticky concoction. Once even, put the tin into the freezer until you’ve finished the caramel layer.

Caramel

Place all the caramel ingredients into a blender, I repeat, BLENDER (don’t make my mistake of dumping them in the food processor), and blend it all up until combined and gooey and delicious. Get your biscuit base out of the freezer and pour the caramel over the top. Smooth it out with a spatula until even. Pop this into the freezer while whipping up your chocolate layer!

Chocolate

In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt the cacao butter. Once melted, add the remaining ingredients and stir slowly until combined. When combined, get your tin out of the freezer and pour the chocolate over the caramel and spread evenly. Again, place the tin in the freezer for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.

When you’re ready to indulge your tastebuds in the amazingness you’ve created, warm a knife under boiling water and slice into squares. Then proceed to place the piece in your mouth, and you can die a happy (caramel coma induced) death.


See, simple, quick and ridiculously tasty! Enjoy!

Samara xx


0 comments:

Post a Comment